Every time you sit down to create, you can consecrate your efforts to deepening your spiritual connection within. A creative practice can become a treasured time for daily meditation. All of the expressive arts can involve moving into a deeper more spirit connected space.
Spiritual guidance and messages in the form of symbols, metaphors and poetry comes often arrive when we are open, silent, honest and authentic in our expression. Spirit moves towards us as we surrender to the mystery of the creative process. Our imagery and words can heal us, transform us, change us and move us closer to an inner spiritual awareness.
Meditating on Imagery
You can meditate on your imagery once you have created it:
1. Find a comfortable place to view you expressive collage, drawing or painting.
2. As you would in a formal meditation, sit up straight and breathe deeply with your eyes closed to center in your body.
3. Open your eyes and let them gaze softly at your artwork, and really listen within your body to the feelings that arise as you look at your work.
4. Try to be present and silent with your artwork for 15 minutes at a time.
5. Take a few minutes after each sitting to write down any deep insights or feelings that arose during your meditation.
6. If no insight comes, and you were just able to be silent and centered, simply enjoy the calm depths of yourself. Often with spontaneous art spiritual insights come much later.
Benefits of Meditative Creativity
1. Deepens insight into what you have created and accesses a non-verbal understanding of your expressive art.
2. Improves concentration and deepens your emotional experience of your intuitive art.
3. Increases self-acceptance of what you have created.
4. Expands consciousness beyond everyday levels of thinking.