A creative practice can become a treasured time for daily meditation. Every time you sit down to create, you can consecrate your efforts to deepening your spiritual connection. All of the expressive arts can involve moving into a deeper spiritual space.
Healing spiritual messages in the form of symbols, metaphors and poetry often arrive when we are open, silent, honest and authentic in our expression. Our imagery and words can move us closer to an inner sense of inspiration.
Meditating on Your Imagery
1. Find a comfortable place to view your expressive collage, drawing or painting.
2. Sit up straight and breathe deeply, centering within your body as you would in a formal meditation.
3. Gaze softly at your artwork. Listen within to the feelings that arise as you look at your art.
4. Meditate upon your artwork for 5-15 minutes at a time.
5. Write down any deep insights that arise during your meditation.
6. If no insights come, enjoy being silent and centered. When meditating upon spontaneous art, spiritual insights sometimes come much later.
Benefits of Meditative Creativity
1. Meditative creativity deepens insight into what you have expressed and helps you to access a deeper understanding of your art.
2. Meditative creativity improves concentration and deepens your emotional experience of your intuitive art.
3. Meditative creativity increases self-acceptance of what you have created.
4. Meditative creativity expands consciousness beyond everyday levels of thinking.