The REACE® designation with the International Expressive Arts Therapy Association offers a professionally accredited designation to expressive arts consultants and educators who use the expressive arts in a broad range of approaches in education, organizational development, health fields and more.
The REACE® candidate may have formal training or acquired experience by applying their skills in work situations. The applicant will choose one of two application tracks that best fits his or her education and experience. REACE applicants must thoroughly document education, work experience, expressive arts training, and personal and professional competency as an expressive arts consultant/educator.
Expressive Arts Education and Training
Applicant must show proof of an additional 200 hours of training in multimodal or intermodal expressive arts. This may be through a training/educational program or a collection of relevant trainings taught by a REACE or someone with equivalent experience and qualifications.
Expressive Arts Training may include coursework in art, dance/movement, drama, music, poetry, psychodrama, and courses in expressive arts education and consultation. It is very important that education and trainings have prepared an applicant to fulfill the competencies required to work in an integrated multi-modal arts process.
You may apply Expressive Arts Foundations to fulfill 40 hours of your multi-modal expressive arts training hours. To complete this module you must document your responses to each lesson in a well-organized consolidated PDF submitted to email@example.com. You may also submit all or part of your Expressive Arts Foundations document to IEATA for your REACE application.
When you have completed all of your lessons - you will need to pay a separate fee so that I can review your submission to see if it meets all of the hour tracking requirements. After I read your work, I will provide you with a certificate documenting 40 hours of multimodal experiential education for IEATA.
Expressive Arts Foundations self-study program offers 40 hours of self-led multi-modal expressive arts education towards your REACE designation with the International Expressive Arts Therapy Association. You can purchase the Expressive Arts Foundation Program HERE. This programs was created by myself, Shelley Klammer (REACE #32). You can read my professional bio HERE.
This reasonably priced self-study course requires an extensive amount of personal documentation on your end that you can also use as part of your REACE application. Please note: I charge an additional document review and certification fee in addition to your course bundle fee to verify to IEATA that you have completed all of the hours in the program.
Expressive Arts Foundations $125 USD
(40 hours of self-documented expressive arts intermodal education.)
Hours Verification Fee: $150 USD
Completion Certificate for IEATA: $25 USD
Please prepay for the hours review of your completed document. Email your document to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Total: $300 USD
Please note: If I need to send your document back for further clarification and organization you will be asked to pay an additional Hours Verification Fee.
As you craft your daily documentation, please consider the high importance of emphasizing "multimodal" or "intermodal" expressive arts experiences in your verbal and visual entries.
Before starting your course work, I invite you to read my article called, "Multimodal Expressive Arts Practices" to better understand how you can set up and document your expressive arts sessions.
More information about REACE credentials can be found at: https://www.ieata.org/what-is-reace
You are welcome and encouraged to spend more time on your assignments to deepen your learning and improve your REACE application, however, you will be allotted the hours listed below in red.
1. Dive Deep Webinar: (3 Days) Learn what expressive journals can look like. Decide what you want to emotionally heal. Dedicate a journal & art materials to your practice. (REACE: 1 hour)
2. 50 Expressive Art Journal Ideas: (30 Days) If you are wondering what art journal "theme" to dedicate to your emotional healing, I offer 50 great ideas for dedicated healing journals as well as ten examples of themes I have explored for emotional healing. Choose one theme to commit to for 15 minutes a day for 30 days. (REACE: 8 hours)
3. Narrative Therapy: (30 Days) Write your own life story - freshly and spontaneously. Daily narrative therapy prompts build emotional awareness of how you presently see your life and shows a way out of the way you see problems. Each prompt takes about 15 minutes per day to complete. (REACE: 7.5 hours)
4. Expressive Poetry: (10 Days) This poetry course uses magazine imagery of your choice to spark emotional poems that help you to express deeper aspects of self that you may not have met yet. (REACE: 2.5 hours)
5. Intuitive Collage: (30 Days) The hidden language of our deeper emotions can more easily reveal themselves through imagery and visual symbols before they shape into words. Gain insight into your emotions with a daily ten minute collage. (REACE: 5 hours)
6. Symbolic Journeys: (45 Days) This 45 day course will support you to better understand the deeper signs and symbols that spontaneously arise in your expressive drawing, painting, writing and collage. (REACE 12 hours)
7. Healing Difficult Emotions: (15 Days) Simple expressive art exercises such as painting, drawing and collage support you to begin exploring, and honestly examining emotional struggles such as worry, fear, frustration, fear, conflict, negativity, heartbreak and addiction. (REACE 4 Hours)
If you follow all the prompts and suggestions in the order I recommend, you will complete 160 consecutive days of expressive arts practice. Each daily exercise takes on average about 15 minutes to complete. (REACE: 40 Hours TOTAL)